Thursday, December 2, 2010

Winter 2011 Anime - The Golden Waste's Picks.


Fractale (top left)
A-1 Pictures & Ordet
Synopsis via Anime News Network;
The story takes place in an island, where a "Fractale System" is beginning to collapse. One day, Crane finds an injured girl called Phryne under a cliff. She disappears leaving a pendant. Crane sets out for a journey with the girl-shaped avatar Nessa to look for Phryne and discovers the secret of the Fractale System.

Yutaka Yamamoto's latest project, after his recent crappy Black Rock Shooter OVA, I had dismissed the guy as a pretty mediocre director who really doesn't know how to put a serious plot or any real story into his works. The series, which is animated by Aniplex's A-1 Pictures and Yamamoto's Ordet, looks pretty from the artwork and the promos. I'm skeptical about this being good, but at least its on noitaminA which means it should be good. They've never let me down before after all. Althought there is a first time for everything.

Wandering Son (top right)
AIC Classic
Synopsis via Anime News Network;
Shuicihi Nitori appears to be a shy and quiet preteen boy, when he transfers to a new school he quickly makes friends with the tomboyish Yoshino Takatsuki who sits next to him. It soon becomes apparent that both Shucihi and Yoshino are more than simply a sensitive boy and masculine girl, they both are transgendered. Together they decide to take the first steps toward becoming the people they want to be.

This is the series to watch for me. It's the other noitaminA series airing this particular season. I fully expect it to be a real masterpiece. I've been hyped up about it since it was announced. This has not changed. With every promo video and picture, the hype grows and grows. The series is directed by Ei Aoki, who is known for directing Ga-Rei Zero and Girls Bravo. While I felt both were pretty mediocre and gimmicky, they weren't on noitaminA. As a huge fan of the manga, I am hopeful and expect this anime will do the series justice. This is one not to be missed.

Gosick (bottom left)
BONES
Synopsis via Anime News Network;
GOSICK takes place in 1924 in a small, made-up European country of Sauville. The story centers on Kazuya Kujo, the third son of a Japanese Imperial soldier, who is a transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. There he meets Victorique, a mysterious yet beautiful and brilliant girl who never comes to class and spends her days reading the entire content of the library or solving mysteries that even detectives can't solve.

I'm really uncertain on BONES to be honest. They are an amazing studio, don't get me wrong. Although their last few series have been lackluster to say the least. I enjoyed Heroman and what I saw of Star Driver, but neither really had screamed quality story or plot to me. That's where my concern comes in, the guy who directed Heroman, Hitoshi Nanba, is directing Gosick. The novels are spectacular and raise a high bar in story. I'm cautiously optimistic, to be honest. Anyways, it has a loli with pipe.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (bottom right)
SHAFT
Synopsis via Anime News Network;
No synopsis available.

There's nothing yet to be said about the series except its a SHAFT original anime, directed by Akiyuki Shinbo, a magical girl series and it has Ume Aoki (Hidamari Sketch) character designs. All these developments intrigue me and thus, out of curiousity, I will catch a few episodes of this series. I am always in support of more original anime and with Shinbo at the helm, this should no doubt be unique and well done. I'm hopeful this will be the surprise show of the season.

Anyways, those are my picks for Winter 2011's anime season. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment