Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thoughts: Aniplex USA importing The Garden of Sinners of Blu-Ray to U.S.

... and why I'm more than likely not going to purchase it.

I've been a huge supporter of this series of films and have wanted (re: #2 on my wish list) for some time. However, I have to do a 180 when Aniplex USA announced they would be using RightStuf and later Bandai Store to import and release the Blu-Ray set here almost a week after Japanese release. On top of that, Aniplex USA makes it explicit that its for "U.S. and Canada customers only" on their page for the set, to try and likely prevent that pesky reverse importation myth. Which begs the $400 question: why price it so high when you have regulations in place and who would really go to the trouble of it?

Although the price is only a small reason I'm not buying this. As time has gone on and I began to reflect on this release and details. The glaring point of not buying this is simple. It doesn't come with the OSTs/original soundtracks. Would I sacrifice getting 1080p Garden of Sinners in exchange for OSTs? Yes. I would. I want those OSTs. That is the definitive deal-breaker. You would think at $400, they would have no problem including the OSTs in the set. It's just the one big, glaring weakness of the set.

It's disappointing to be sure, but I can't justify putting $400 on something that is not the "definitive" release. If need be, I'll wait for limited edition DVDs with the soundtracks. As much as it'd pain me to buy a DVD, Aniplex leaves me no real choice in the matter. I simply can't plop $400 on something that is not a complete package. I know I certainly can't be alone in this train of thought. Spending $400 on this would be far more reasonable if the OSTs were included.

No comments:

Post a Comment