Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thoughts: Criterion's February 2011 Titles

The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, announced their February 2011 titles this evening with four new titles and two Blu-Ray re-releases. It includes not one, not two but three of my "looking forward to" titles. I am immensely pleased and somewhat terrified of the next Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble.

Let's start off with two re-releases; Federico Fellini's Amarcord (1973) and Krzysztof Kieślowski's The Double Life of Véronique (1991). Neither film really exactly appeals to me. I've heard a lot about Amarcord but I don't know if its worth picking up blindly. The same applies to Double Life of Véronique. Heard some good and some bad about the film, not enough to sway me either way. On top of that, my slate is full with the other titles. I doubt I could pick either up if I wanted them anyways. There is one new title I'm uncertain of, but can be sold on, which is Luchino Visconti's Senso (1954), which aside from Criterion using the words "tragic romance," I am highly interested in but don't know whether or not to pull the eventual trigger on.

Moving onto more new stuff announced, where to start. Ah, the most anticipated release of February for me; Hirokazu Kore-eda's Still Walking (2008). I'm psyched about this movie in particular because of its being constantly compared to Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story (1953), which I'm shamed to admit, I have not seen. Release it on Blu-Ray, Criterion! Please. Back to Still Walking, I'll be picking up the Blu-Ray.

Another title I'll be picking up from Criterion in February is Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank (2009) on Blu-Ray. It's a film that has caught my attention in recent months. I've seen Fish Tank compared to a modern day Francois Truffaut's The 400 Blows (1959). That comparison alone is worth me checking out this film. Katie Jarvis, who plays the female lead, is a newcomer and supposedly pretty amazing at that. The movie also has Michael Fassbender, who has become a Criterion favorite it seems in recent years.

The last title I plan to buy Alexander Mackendrick's Sweet Smell of Success (1957), a film noir starring Burt Lancaster and the late Tony Curtis. This film also caught my attention when it aired on Turner Classic Movies several weeks back. I sat down and rather enjoyed it. It should look particularly gorgeous on Criterion Blu-Ray transfer. It's also been compared to Oliver Stone's Wall Street (1987), but its widely considered way better.

That does it for my thoughts on The Criterion Collection's February 2011 titles. It looks an astounding good month for two of my interests - Criterion and anime releases. Thankfully, I can wait patiently for sales for all this stuff. It will drive me up a wall, however. I'm eager to own these now. Well done, Criterion, well done. Keep it up too.

- tgwIV

EDIT: Changed mind regarding Amarcord, will purchase. Will not be purchasing Fish Tank as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment